Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

There's Hope for Us Commoners!

Since my last post was about weddings, I thought, why not continue the trend this sunny-weathered weekend.  Might as well take advantage of the bliss while it lasts.

On Saturday, Sweden's royal family celebrated their princess's opulent wedding: full of jewels, fancy dresses, heart-wrenching vows, and....a commoner groom?!  Last time I checked, royal weddings were all about marrying your cousins and creating alliances between countries.  Has tradition died?  Or is it just that monarchs really don't have political power anymore, and that they are just marketing tools for their country.  I mean, when was the last time Queen Elizabeth did something that was notable, besides attend some tea party?  I liked the backstabbing, power-hungry, selfish mentality so much better than this "for the people" democracy crap.  I mean, where's the drama?  The allure?  The fantasy of being in control and being adored?  .....Well, clearly I'm joking.  But I will admit, the days of Queen Victoria and Tsar Nicholas were so much more fun to gossip about!
Walking up the stairs into Stockholm's Cathedral where the ceremony took place.

All things considered, it was a beautiful wedding and Swede's lady, Princess Victoria, was glowing.  Her dorky, yet weirdly sexy hubby, Daniel Westling, was sporting an eclectic pair of glasses, which just made me smile.  In my opinion, it takes guts to wear glasses to a very formal event, but the rich and famous always are one step ahead of the trends.  I'm excited to see what the ex-gym owner has in store for the throne.  Oh, and little fun fact: This was the first European royal wedding since 2008.  Crazy huh?  These monarchs need to get a move on their matrimonial behinds.  I want some more fancy smancy weddings to gawk about.

Doting fiance... how precious.  Not to mention, she looks gorgeous!

Now, this is every girl's dream....riding in a carriage with a prince wearing an elaborate crown and smiling at all your adoring subjects. Well, I guess it would've been my dream if I lived in the 1800s.


Now, I realize, there is hope for Me and Prince William.  After all, if this commoner can...there is hope for lil American me.

No comments:

Post a Comment